Friday, August 8, 2008

My Grandma


This is a picture of my Grandma Davis. I believe it was taken around the time of her engagement to my Grandfather. She was born in 1916 and today is her birthday. Although she is no longer with us I still like to reminisce about my fond memories of her. Some favorites were- Her love of baking cookies and the most delicious berry pies you have ever tasted. She loved to shop and especially loved purses. Anytime she got a new pair of shoes it was an excuse for a new purse to match. She and Grandpa also loved to camp and fish and she would become quite competitive if you happened to catch more fish than she did. She was great at visiting us and always got us out of the house to go somewhere. Grandma was a particularly good pen pal to me while I was away on my mission and I still love to read her letters to me.


Just yesterday I was cleaning out my cedar chest and came upon some treasures my Grandma had made for me. She loved to do all kinds of handwork. As a result most of us grandchildren received quilts, throw pillows, tablecloths, pillowcases and aprons for our trousseaus. Which we were to keep until we were married.


I found this apron to be quite fun. Especially as aprons are very trendy right now. In fact their are many sites featuring vintage aprons and gingham is making a real comeback. Grandma would be so happy. http://practicallynecessary.com/ and http://angrychicken.typepad.com/tieoneon/
I think the added touch of the detailed stitching makes this one a real treasure...not to mention that it was made by someone so special and dear to my heart. My Grandma's life made an indelible impression on me for all that is good. And I love her very much for that.

5 comments:

Diane said...

What a nice post. So fun to remember the fun times with our grandparents. I loved the times we were able to go fishing with them. Once a year I still make "Cherry Chip" cake with pink frosting. It reminds me of good memories while on camping trips! Love the picture you posted!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! My most humorous memory of grandma would be the time she fell off her folding chair at Payson Lake. In a mad scramble to hook the fish biting her line she leaned forward way too much, instead of standing. The chair collapsed, in the lake she went, knickers showing, wet butt, red face. Then came the infamous quote to grandpa "Dammit Don" like he was the one tipping the chair. I can still picture the look on her face. Of course it took what seemed an eternity to get up, lots of grunts and groans. Even grandpa laughed about that one. Of course upsetting grandma from the embarassment of a muddy butt.

Brian said...

I always love the fishing memories with Grandma and Grandpa. It was always great to come back to the trailer after a long day fishing as Grandma would cook frest trout we caught with "Shake-n-Bake"! She was always a great cook. Her berry pies were my favorite. While fishing she would always demand Grandpa threw on the fishing lure that was catching the most fish for that day.
As she would sleep in the boat while trolling, I would tug on her line when she wasn't looking and she would jump up yelling "I've gotta a big one on"!!
I always loved watching her get excited when she caught a fish. One day while fishing in Strawberry Reservoir, Grandma had a big rainbow trout on her line. It took what seemed like 5 minutes to bring this fish to the boat, as I went down to net the fish, it suddenly broke the line. I never lived that moment down the rest of the day! I missed the biggest fish of the day on her line. She was purely disgusted! I can still see that look on her face.
She was always great at writing me letters on my mission. I always looked forward to those letters of encouragement as she bore her testimony often of the gospel. Grandma had such a great dedication and love for the gospel and temple work. She will always be great example to me in my life.

Melissa said...

I loved this post. Your grandma sounds like a special lady. That's neat you have so many good memories of her and things she made you. I'm glad you wrote them down so your kids can learn about her too.

Anonymous said...

So Fun to Remember Good Times. Memories I have of Grandma are the Cookies she would bake each week and carry over in the Crisco Cans to store. I always thought she was the best Baker. I don't think there is another pie out there as good as Grandmas. I still love using the many blankets that Grandma made for each of us, I sometimes feel guilty getting them out and using them because of how much time she would put into these things.