Friday, August 29, 2008

Chewy Peanut Butter Bars

A favorite school lunch memory of mine, were the days when this yummy dessert was served. I would trade anything on my tray for an extra "peanut butter bar". Still a favorite treat for everyone who agrees that chocolate and peanut butter are the perfect combination. I searched far and wide to find a recipe with just the right texture. These bars are soft and chewy and smothered in chocolate frosting. What could be better than that? (Source: found on allrecipes.com under "chewy peanut butter brownies", I tweak mine a little to make them nice and thick).

3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup softened margarine
1 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 eggs
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together peanut butter and margarine. Gradually blend in the brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla; mix until fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the peanut butter mixture until well blended.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in preheated oven, or until the top springs back when touched. Cool, and cut into squares.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Diane said...

Yummy! Those look mighty tasty. I might have to mix up a batch for the boys.

Melissa said...

I love PB treats! I am excite to try these out. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

mmmm Those look Very Yummy, I'll have to whip me up a batch.