Thursday, October 16, 2014

Applesauce



Homemade Applesauce

 Nothing tastes as great as fresh homemade applesauce.  Even if you aren't normally a fan, this recipe is sure to make an applesauce lover of you!!!!  FRESH DELICIOUSNESS!  I revised this a little, but found the basic recipe on the Pioneer Woman's website, whom I love to follow.  The result is so yummy. I received buckets full of apples courtesy of my Dad, who now runs the farm where my Grandpa used to garden.  The trees were planted over 50 years ago by my Grandpa and the apples are a crisp, tart-sweet flavor.  I kept adding brown sugar until it tasted just right because some batches of apples were more tart than others. 

I canned mine by filling sterilized jars to within a half inch from the top.  I ran a butter knife around the edges of the bottle to get out any air bubbles.  Wiped off the rim of each bottle and placed on a flat lid that had been brought to a simmer.  Screwed on the rings and processed in a water bath canner.  Once water was boiling I processed for 20 minutes.  Removed from canner and let rest on a dishtowel for 24 hours until all lids had sealed.
 

Ingredients

  • 6 pounds Apples, Peeled, Cored, And Cut Into 8 Slices
  • 1 cup Apple Juice Or Apple Cider
  • Juice Of 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon, More Or Less To Taste
  • Optional Ingredients: Nutmeg, Maple Syrup, Allspice, Butter

Preparation Instructions

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
Carefully puree in a food processor or blender (don't fill too full; split into two portions if needed) until smooth.
Store in the fridge and serve by itself, over pork chops, over ice cream, over pancakes...or any place where applesauce is needed!

No comments: