Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Trip to Moab, Utah


We just returned from our trip to Moab. The boys in our family swear that this is one of the greatest places to visit on earth. They usually take a springtime biking trip with Matt but this time Tayler and I were invited to tag along.

Above is Balanced Rock. Driving across the red rock landscape one could easily see how captivating this place is. Not only are the colors vibrant but each area we went to had something unique to look at. It was like visiting a museum with vast artistic sculptures all created by the hand of nature.

This is Landscape Arch.

This area is referred to as The Windows.



My boys (this includes my husband) were all in heaven. Climbing the red rock was a little like climbing on a Jungle Gym, except with the added element of danger in some steep areas. I watched for awhile, then had to turn away when the drop offs were to high for me to stand. With the Larsen boys the more you yell, "okay, that's far enough", the more they see that, as a challenge to go even higher. I decided that distracting myself and praying silently was easier on the nerves.
Sand Dune Arch was one of our favorite finds. To get there we only had to hike a short distance back behind these beautiful stacked plates of rock,

and into this narrow passageway.

It opened up to what looked like an enormous private sandbox with a few green trees and finally some much needed shade.

Matt and Colton explored the giant rocks in Sand Dune Arch for quite sometime. It was a nice place for me to sit and cool off. When they came back they both were grinning from ear to ear as Matt breathlessly exclaimed "This is like God's playground for 14 year olds and 43 year olds!"(yes, he's passionate about life).

We missed Delicate Arch which my husband wanted to show me. But at 107 degrees and a 3 mile hike in the sun to go see it, I opted to save that one for another time. Since food is such an important part of every vacation we decided to rate a couple of places we visited. Thumbs down to the Pancake Haus, overpriced food that was fairly bland. A big thumbs up to my boys favorite place in Moab, Milts Drive Inn. It's a small All american greasy spoon. Shakes were supreme and yummy homemade burgers and handcut fries. A must if you ever visit Moab! Also a small suggestion on timing Spring time and Fall are much more enjoyable, unless you absolutely love the heat rocket hot.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so excited to know about your blog! You have done a great job. I love your black & white background and your fun pictures. I can't get over how old your kids have gotten and that Tayler is graduated! I sent you an invite to my blog so you'll have to check it out. I look forward to more updates!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun trip.

forget laundry said...

I too am so excited to see your blog! dylan will be too. I think the world of you. it is so fun to see you on our visits to Lorna. I would love to add you to our blog list if you can email me at hillarycollette@treehousememories.com

Diane said...

What awesome pics of the landscape. Looks like a fun place...except for the sweltering heat. Awesome post! Can't wait to see you guys

Anonymous said...

Tracy... looks like a fun vacation... I am shocked at the boys!!! they are sooo big! and tayler is looking just as cute as her mom did back in high school(and still does I should say)
thanks for sharing!!!

Tralar said...

Thanks Karen!